Imagine combining the savory taste of pepperoni pizza with the chewy delight of a homemade pretzel. That's exactly what I did last week, creating Pepperoni Soft Pretzels - a great snack that's quickly become a favorite food in our household. Perfect for big game days, movie nights, or as a fun snack for the whole family, these pretzels are a delicious product of culinary creativity.
Preparation: Crafting the Perfect Pretzel
- Dough Making: In a bread machine or a large bowl, combine warm milk, melted butter, brown sugar, and yeast. Gradually add flour and fine salt, and mix to form a soft dough.
- Kneading and Rising: Knead the dough on a lightly floured work surface until smooth. Let it rise at room temperature in a greased bowl, covered, until it doubles.
Shaping and Topping
- Forming Dough Logs: Divide the dough into equal portions, rolling each piece into a long rope.
- Achieving the Pretzel Shape: Shape each rope into a classic pretzel shape or cut them into pieces for soft pretzel bites. Arrange these on a large baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Adding the Cheese Mixture: Combine shredded mozzarella, parmesan, and chopped pepperoni. Sprinkle this cheese mixture over each piece of dough.
Baking: The Secret to Golden-Brown Pretzels
- Egg Wash for Shine: Whisk the egg with a tablespoon of water and brush the mixture over the shaped dough logs on the cookie sheets.
- Bake to Perfection: Preheat your oven and bake the pretzels until they turn a deep golden brown, making them a perfect snack with excellent nutritional information.
Nutritional Profile: A Balanced Snack
Pepperoni soft pretzels offer a balanced nutritional profile. Each serving contains a good amount of protein, carbohydrates, dietary fiber, and essential vitamins like vitamin C. They're a great choice for those on a calorie-controlled diet, with less trans fat and g total fat when using low-fat milk and cheese.
Serving Suggestions: Versatile and Delicious
Serve these warm with a side of pizza sauce, or sprinkle them with garlic powder for extra flavor. They can be cut into smaller pizza pretzel bites or enjoyed as full-sized pepperoni pizza pretzels. Pair with a bowl of cream cheese or peanut butter for a surprising twist.
Final Take Away
Whether it's for a quick weekday snack, a fun weekend project, or for entertaining guests, these pepperoni soft pretzels are sure to be a hit. With their delicious blend of melted cheese, flavorful pepperoni slices, and soft, chewy dough, they're a perfect snack for any occasion. Give them a try and see why they're a new favorite!
- 1 cup milk
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter divided
- 3 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
- 2¼ teaspoons instant/rapid-rise yeast 1 package
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon fine salt
- ¼ cup baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup sliced pepperoni
- Your favorite pizza sauce for dipping
- Prepare the Dough: Heat your oven to 450°F. In a small bowl, warm the milk and 2 tablespoons of butter just until the butter melts. Stir in the brown sugar until it dissolves. In a food processor, mix the flour, yeast, and fine salt. Gradually add the warm milk mixture, processing until a dough forms. Knead the dough until smooth yet slightly tacky, either in a stand mixer with a dough hook or on a lightly floured surface.
- Let the Dough Rise: Shape your dough into a ball and place it in a lightly greased bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and let it rise in a warm spot until it doubles in size, about 1-2 hours.
- Shape the Pretzels: Divide your dough into 6 equal portions. Roll each piece into a long rope, about 24 inches. Shape each rope into a pretzel (form a U-shape, then twist the ends and press them onto the bottom of the U).
- Add the Pepperoni and Cheese: Lay slices of pepperoni along each dough rope before shaping into pretzels. Sprinkle some shredded mozzarella inside the U shape.
- Bake the Pretzels: Dissolve the baking soda in warm water in a large cookie sheet. Dip each pretzel in the soda solution, let the excess drip off, and place them on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Sprinkle with coarse salt and bake until they turn a deep golden brown, about 8-12 minutes.
- Finish with Melted Butter: Melt the remaining 3 tablespoons of butter. Brush the baked pretzels with this melted butter for a glossy finish.
- Serve: Enjoy your pepperoni pretzels warm with a side of marinara sauce for dipping. They're a perfect snack for movie nights or as an easy appetizer on pizza night.
- Variations: For a different twist, try using different types of cheese or adding Italian seasoning to the dough for extra flavor.