Are you looking for a flavorful and tender steak that melts in your mouth? Look no further than sous vide skirt steak! Sous vide cooking is a slow cooking method that involves cooking food in a vacuum-sealed bag in a water bath at a precise temperature, resulting in perfectly cooked and evenly heated dishes. Skirt steak, which is a flavorful and affordable cut of beef, is the perfect candidate for sous vide cooking.
Table of Contents:
1 - What's Best About This Recipe
Sous vide cooking is the best way to cook skirt steak because it allows for a slow and even cooking process, which tenderizes the meat while maintaining its juicy and flavorful texture. The sous vide method ensures that the steak is cooked to the precise temperature that you want, resulting in a perfectly cooked, delicious steak every time.
2 - The Best Meat For This Recipe
- Skirt Steaks
Skirt steak is a thin, long, and flavorful cut of beef that's perfect for this sous vide recipe. It's a cut that comes from the plate, a section of the cow that's known for its tough, connective tissue. However, skirt steak has less connective tissue than other cuts in this region, making it a great option for sous vide cooking.
The sous vide process involves cooking the steak in a vacuum-sealed bag at a low temperature for an extended period. This technique helps to break down the connective tissue and achieve the best results, resulting in a tender and juicy steak. When choosing a skirt steak for this recipe, look for one that's thin and uniform in thickness. A good rule of thumb is to choose a steak that's about ½ inch thick.
Additionally, you'll want to select a steak with a nice marbling of fat, which will help to enhance the flavor. With general guidelines suggesting a cook time between 2 to 4 hours, depending on the thickness, and a target temperature between 130°F and 135°F for the sweet spot, skirt steak is the perfect cut for this sous vide steak recipe.
Whether you're a big believer in the sous vide technique or just looking for a new way to cook steak, this recipe is a good idea and the easiest way to achieve a perfect medium-rare steak every time.
- Other Cuts
While skirt steak is the recommended cut for this sous vide recipe, there are other flavorful cuts that can be used as well.
- Hanger steak is a great option for those who prefer a thicker cut, and it has a similar texture to skirt steak. To adapt the recipe for hanger steak, simply adjust the cook time to 3 to 4 hours and the target internal temperature to 130°F to 135°F for a medium-rare steak.
- Strip steak is another popular choice, known for its tenderness and rich flavor. To adapt the recipe for strip steak, adjust the cook time to 1 to 2 hours and the target internal temperature to 125°F to 130°F for a medium-rare steak.
When choosing a cut for sous vide cooking, it's important to consider the thickness and marbling. A thin cut with good marbling will cook more evenly and result in a more flavorful steak. With the proper temperature and cook time, any of these cuts can be cooked to a perfect medium-rare using the sous vide technique.
- Using Wagyu Beef
Wagyu is a type of beef that is highly sought after for its tenderness and rich flavor, making it an excellent choice for sous vide cooking. This beef comes from a breed of cattle that originated in Japan and has been bred for centuries to produce marbled, flavorful meat. The marbling in Wagyu beef comes from a unique fat distribution that gives it a buttery texture and flavor.
When it comes to choosing Wagyu for your sous vide skirt steak recipe, Snake River Farms is an excellent option. They offer a range of different cuts that are perfect for sous vide cooking, including hanger steak, strip steak, and inside skirt steak. These cuts are all thin and flavorful, making them ideal for the sous vide process.
To buy Wagyu, look for a reputable seller who can provide you with information about the breed and the specific cut of beef. It's important to note that Wagyu beef requires a lower cooking temperature and longer cooking time than other cuts of beef to achieve the proper internal temperature for a medium-rare steak.
With the right prep time and proper temperature, a sous vide Wagyu steak can make a big difference in the flavor and tenderness of your end result. Additionally, vacuum-sealed bags or recloseable bags can be used to sous vide the Wagyu steak, ensuring that it stays juicy and flavorful.
3 - Tools Needed
When it comes to sous vide cooking, having the right equipment is essential to achieving the perfect result. In order to sous vide skirt steak, you will need a few specific items.
- Immersion Circulator
Firstly, a sous vide immersion circulator is necessary to heat and circulate the water in the vide water bath, ensuring that the steak is cooked at the right temperature. It is recommended to use a high-quality circulator to maintain consistent temperature and achieve the best results.
- Vacuum Bags Reusable or Disposable
A vacuum seal bag is also required to place the skirt steak in, which will help ensure even cooking and moisture retention. Reusable vacuum bags are an eco-friendly option, while disposable vacuum bags offer convenience.
- Vacuum Sealer
A vacuum sealer is a great investment for sous vide cooking as it ensures a secure seal and removes all air from the bag, resulting in better cooking results. However, it is not necessary and recloseable bags can be used with the water displacement method to remove air from the bag.
- Water Container
A large pot or plastic container that can accommodate the immersion circulator and water is needed to cook the skirt steak. You may also use a sous vide container designed for sous vide cooking. It is important to monitor the water level to prevent the circulator from running dry, regardless of the container you use.
Sous Vide Equipment
Anova Sous Vide Bundle Kit with Precision Cooker Nano and 12L ContainerBuy Now →
Anova Culinary Precision Vacuum Sealer Pro, Includes 1 Bag RollBuy Now →
When using a ziplock bag for sous vide, it is important to remove as much air as possible by using the water displacement method. Simply place the food in the bag and seal it most of the way, leaving a small opening. Then, slowly lower the bag into the water, allowing the water pressure to push the air out of the bag. Once the air is removed, seal the bag completely.
With these few pieces of equipment and expert tips, you can easily create the perfect medium-rare steak every time. Don't be afraid to experiment with different cuts and cooking temperatures to find the best method for you.
4 - Cooking Tips
- Cook at the Right Temperature
The best temperature for sous vide skirt steak is 130°F (54°C) for a medium-rare steak. This temperature allows for slow and even cooking, resulting in a tender and juicy steak that is cooked to perfection. Use a sous vide wand to ensure that the water bath is at the proper temperature, and vacuum-seal the steak in a plastic bag for the best results.
- Do Not Cook Too Long
The cooking time for sous vide skirt steak depends on the thickness of the steak:
- For a steak that is 1 inch thick, the cooking time is 1-2 hours.
- For a steak that is 1.5 inches thick, the cooking time is 2-3 hours.
- For a steak that is 2 inches thick, the cooking time is 3-4 hours.
These times may vary depending on your personal preference and desired degree of doneness.
- Season Before Cooking
Before placing the steak in the vacuum-sealed bag, season it generously with salt and pepper to enhance its flavor.
- Pat The Steak Dry
Pat the steak dry with paper towels before searing it on a hot cast-iron skillet or grill to get a nice crust. This will prevent the steak from steaming and ensure that you get a delicious and crispy exterior.
- Turning Your Steaks Into Tacos
Once you have prepared the sous vide skirt steak, it's time to turn it into delicious tacos. Here's how to assemble the perfect taco:
- Step 1: Warm up the Tortillas. Warm up your tortillas in the oven or on the grill. This will make them more pliable and easier to fold. You can also use a microwave or a skillet on medium heat.
- Step 2: Slice the Steak. Remove the skirt steak from the sous vide bag and pat it dry with paper towels. Slice the steak against the grain into thin strips. This will help to keep the steak tender and juicy.
- Step 3: Assemble the Tacos. Place a few slices of steak on each tortilla. Add your favorite toppings such as diced onion, cilantro, sliced avocado, or salsa. Drizzle with sesame oil for extra flavor. Fold the tortillas in half and serve hot.
- Step 4: Enjoy Your Tacos. Take a bite of your delicious sous vide skirt steak tacos! The end result will be a flavorful and tender steak that's perfect for any taco lover.
Serving sous vide skirt steak tacos is a great way to impress your friends and family with your love of food and cooking techniques. Whether you're a fitness enthusiast or just love spending time in the kitchen, sous vide is the best method for cooking steak to the perfect temperature every time. With the sous vide technique, you can preserve the nutritional values of the steak and achieve the perfect texture and flavor. So, grab a skirt steak from your local grocery store and start cooking!
5 - Storage Instructions
Storing and reheating your sous vide skirt steak is easy and convenient. Here are some tips to ensure that your steak stays fresh and tasty:
- In the Fridge
- Allow the steak to cool down at room temperature for at least 30 minutes before refrigerating.
- Once the steak has cooled, remove it from the vacuum-sealed bag and wrap it tightly in plastic wrap or aluminum foil.
- Place the wrapped steak in an airtight container and store it in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- In the Freezer
- Follow the steps above to wrap the steak tightly.
- Place the wrapped steak in a freezer-safe zip-top bag or vacuum-sealed bag.
- Label the bag with the date and store it in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- Remove the steak from the fridge or freezer and let it sit at room temperature for about 30 minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 250°F (120°C).
- Remove the steak from its wrapping and vacuum-sealed bag, and place it on a wire rack over a baking sheet.
- Reheat the steak in the oven for 10-15 minutes, or until it reaches the desired internal temperature.
- For best results, use a meat thermometer to ensure that the internal temperature of the steak reaches 130°F (54°C) for medium-rare.
- Once the steak has reached the proper temperature, remove it from the oven and let it rest for a few minutes before slicing and serving.
6 - Side Dishes
To complement this sous vide skirt steak recipe, here are some delicious and easy side dishes:
- Black bean salad: this easy salad is made with canned black beans, chopped bell peppers, red onions, and a simple vinaigrette. It's a refreshing side dish that pairs well with the richness of the steak.
- Cilantro lime rice: cook white rice according to package instructions and stir in chopped cilantro and lime juice. This flavorful rice pairs well with the bright flavors of the chimichurri sauce and the richness of the steak.
- Grilled or roasted asparagus: it is a great choice to pair with the steak. The asparagus can be prepped and cooked quickly while the steak is resting.
- Churros: these crispy, deep-fried dough sticks are a staple in Spanish-speaking countries and are often served with a warm chocolate dipping sauce. Their cinnamon-sugar coating and decadent flavor make them a perfect dessert to cap off your South American-inspired meal.
- Wine pairing: Malbec from Argentina. The rich and full-bodied red wine pairs well with the bold flavors of the steak and the herbal chimichurri sauce.
All of these sides are easy to prepare and complement the flavors of the sous vide skirt steak recipe.
7 - Final Take Away
sous vide skirt steak is a delicious and flavorful dish that is perfect for any occasion. By using the sous vide technique, you can achieve the perfect medium-rare steak that is tender and juicy every time. The key to success is using the right equipment and cooking at the proper temperature for the right amount of time. By following the tips and recommendations outlined in this recipe, you can create a mouthwatering dish that will impress your guests and leave them wanting more. Pair it with a glass of red wine and some delicious side dishes, and you have a meal that is sure to satisfy. So don't be afraid to try this recipe at home and enjoy the savory and succulent taste of sous vide skirt steak.
- 3 lbs Snake River Farms Wagyu Skirt Steak
- ½ cup balsamic vinegar
- ½ cup worcestershire sauce
- 4 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 4 teaspoon garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper ground
- 4 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ cup cilantro
- ½ cup parsley
- ½ unit onion chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt or to taste
- ½ teaspoon pepper or to taste
- 1 tablespoon garlic chopped
- ½ teaspoon italian blend seasoning
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- ⅓ cup oil
- 2 tablespoon red wine vinegar
For the Marinade
- To make the marinade, whisk together the balsamic vinegar, soy sauce or Worcestershire sauce, apple cider vinegar, minced garlic, salt, black pepper, and olive oil until well combined.
- Place the skirt steak into a ziplock bag, pour in the marinade, press out any excess air, and seal the bag.
Cooking Sous Vide
- When you're ready to sous vide the steak, preheat the water bath to 129 F or to your desired temperature according to the recommended time and temperature chart.
- Submerge the bag into the sous vide bath and cook the steak for 2 to 4 hours, depending on your preferred level of doneness.
- Once the steak is done, remove it from the water bath and transfer it to a cutting board. Pat it dry with paper towels and discard any leftover marinade from the bag or container it was marinating in.
For the Chimichurri Sauce
- To make the chimichurri sauce, add all of the ingredients into a blender or food processor and pulse until the mixture is smooth and well combined.
Grilling and Serving Your Steaks
- Use tongs to transfer the steak to a preheated grill and cook over medium-high heat for 6 to 8 minutes on each side, or until it's cooked to your desired level of doneness.
- Once the steak is cooked, remove it from the skillet or grill and loosely cover it with aluminum foil. Allow it to rest for 5 minutes before slicing it against the grain.
- Drizzle with fleur de sel (optional) and season with the prepared chimichurri sauce. Serve and enjoy your perfectly cooked and seasoned sous vide skirt steak!
- You can prepare the marinade up to four days in advance and store it in the fridge until you're ready to use it.
- If you don't have a sous vide cooker, you can still make this recipe by placing the bag in the fridge for four hours to allow the steak to marinate. After marinating, discard the leftover marinade from the bag and grill the steak according to step 4.
Frequently Asked Questions
Skirt steak is a thin, long, and flavorful cut of beef that comes from the plate section of the cow.
Inside skirt steak is typically considered to be better than outside skirt steak because it is more tender and has better flavor.
A good rule of thumb is to plan for about 4-6 ounces of skirt steak per person.
If skirt steak is cooked for an extended period of time or with a high-heat cooking method, it can become tough and shred. However, when cooked using the sous vide method, skirt steak will be tender and juicy.
Skirt steak and flank steak are different cuts of beef, although they are often used interchangeably. Flank steak comes from the abdominal area of the cow, while skirt steak comes from the plate section.
Yes, skirt steak can be cooked in the oven using high heat for a short period of time or by broiling it for a few minutes on each side. However, sous vide cooking is the best method to achieve the perfect texture and flavor for skirt steak.
Leave a Reply